Re: Replying, WAS: Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows installation package with GUI included

  • Subject: Re: Replying, WAS: Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows installation package with GUI included
  • From: Mathias Sundman <mathias@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:06:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, James Yonan wrote:

PS. Can't someone change the mailing-list settings so a
reply goes to the list and not to the person in the "From:".
Simply add a "Reply-To:" should do it I guess. It's a hassle
to remember to Reply-to-all in my mailer (Outlook Express).
Pressing Ctrl-R is an old habit.

Interesting idea. I think I can quite easily change this in the mailman config for the lists. But doesn't this usurp the user's control to a certain extent because the current configuration allows "reply" to go privately to the sender, or "reply-to-all" to go to the whole list.

I'd want to get a few comments on this before I make any changes to the list
configuration.

I'd vote for setting Reply-to: only to the list. Perhaps, if possible, only if the original email does not already contain a Reply-to header.

With this change, "reply" becomes "reply-to-all". So we will sort of be "encouraging" people who don't think about it, to always reply to the whole list.

I don't think that this is a problem. I think a mailing-list SHOULD encourage people to reply to the list. If someone want to get a reply personally, they should set the Reply-to header themself when they send the first mail.