Re: [Openvpn-users] Install on OpernBSD 3.4 or poke hole in firewall?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Install on OpernBSD 3.4 or poke hole in firewall?
  • From: "Renato Salles" <rsalles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:27:50 -0300 (BRT)

Hi Jules,

Jules Colding disse:
> Hi,
>
> I have a company intranet with an OpenBSD 3.4 firewall and a linux samba
server. I have been tasked to provide access to windows clients to the
samba shares.

> What would be the recommendation of experienced OpenVPN users?
>
> 1) Patch OpenBSD to support tap devices and install on the firewall
>
> or
>
> 2) Poke holes in the firewall and install on the samba server
>
> ??

The first, i guess. But both solutions are possible. Wich server is the
more idle? Which one has more RAM & Fast CPU? If these servers have the
same hardare resources, the first one being a *BSD driven one, even with
the current daemons running, as httpd, smtp, pop/imap, firewall, well, my
choice remains this server.

BTW, OpenVPN has showed to be faster under *nix OS's than with win32
servers, even with a little bit less hardware resources.

HTH,

RSalles

> Thanks a lot for any advices,
>   jules

"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program is its
own hell."
TAO of Programming - Book 4