[Openvpn-users] Re: Simple bridge?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Simple bridge?
  • From: Rick <fungo_mungo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:39:09 +0000 (UTC)

> > /root/ovpn.cf:
> >
> > local 192.168.0.101
> > remote 192.168.0.120
> > dev tap0
> > ifconfig 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
> > verb 9
>
> Okay... what are you trying to do here?

This is only a test setup and the 192.168.0.x addresses will be replaced with
public ips. I'm using bridging so that I can also connect with XP

> I'm not sure your endpoints are what you want them to be.  You don't
> need the 'local' option, AFAIK.  You don't want that ifconfig line; you
> do *not* give the interfaces that make up a bridge IP addresses unless
> you're doing something really funky.

The 'local' was added later and made no difference. The ifconfig was taken
directly from the 'INSTALL win32' page where it says "This example will work
between Windows and Windows, Windows and Linux, or Windows and FreeBSD."

> Before running the OpenVPN line, are you able to ping 192.168.0.120?
> That's what you're telling OpenVPN to connect to...

Yes

> Explain the network topology to us and what you want your VPN connection
> to do... I'm not sure you need a bridge.  But, I really don't know what
> it is you're attempting here...

At this point I'm just trying to learn how to use OpenVPN and finding out what
it can do. I do have a couple of clients who might be interested in it. For this
test I like to have an XP and a Linux client connect to a Linux Samba share.

Thanks very much Rob.