Re: [Openvpn-users] Routing does not seem to be working

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Routing does not seem to be working
  • From: Christian Gross <mailing@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:40:37 +0100

rob wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:07:27 +0100
Christian Gross <chg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the Windows Installation notes there is a section that shows how to route packets. As try as I might on three different boxes and platforms I simply cannot get it to work.

Ok, the server has the following configuration

Tap-driver, and ethernet address Subnet mask

The configuration file is

On the client side the configuration is

So when the server is started the client can connect no problem.

If I do a ping everything works.

Then on the client side I add  route

Then I do a ping and everything works...

Where the problem lies is if I ping, which times out.

Note that between the VPN server and client is my router that redirects port 5000.

Could somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Christian Gross

Hi Christian,

In your setup, it appears that the client knows how to get to network and your openvpn server knows how to get to the network - this would explain why pings between client and server work. However, you seem to be having problems pinging other machines on the network.

You need to make sure that other machines on the network know how to get to the network. You mention that you have a router on the server side. My guess would be that all of your machines have that router set as their default gateway. If that is the case, the simplest way to let your network know about the vpn network is to add a route to that router telling it that it can reach via

I cannot update my router. However, I added a route from a machine within the network to the VPN...

For example a computer has the IP address

route add MASK

If I attempt to ping from the computer it works. If I then attempt to ping from the same computer, no reply.

It seems to me that on the OpenVPN ( machine the packets are not getting routed from one medium to another.

What could be blocking the packets from being routed from one medium to another?

Christian Gross