[Openvpn-users] Is OpenVPN the right tool for me?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Is OpenVPN the right tool for me?
  • From: "John A. Kilpatrick" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 16:53:13 -0700

Here is the problem I am trying to solve:

I want to be able to ensure that the network I am using (mostly likely that
of an employer/client) isn't sniffing traffic going to/from my laptop.

Seems pretty simple in theory.  Right now I am able to handle mail, at
least, via an SSH tunnel.  I can do SOCKS/web proxy stuff via that as well.
What I'm looking to do though is set up an encrypted tunnel between my
co-located server (running FreeBSD) and my laptop (Mac OS X) such that all
network traffic to/from my laptop is sent over this tunnel and my server
forwards it to the internet, so that I can not only read mail and browse the
web but run things like AIM/ICQ/etc in a secure manner (in the sense of the
work-site being able to sniff it).  And in addition to security I want to be
able to avoid their firewall restrictions (since if I can forward it over
the tunnel then it doesn't matter if the firewall blocks AIM or not).

So is OpenVPN the right tool for me?  Or am I misunderstanding it's
functionality?

--
                               John A. Kilpatrick
john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                Email|     http://www.hypergeek.net/