Re: [Openvpn-users] windows client for openvpn

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] windows client for openvpn
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 05:32:04 -0000

"Bowsher, Jason P" <j.bowsher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Reading the openVPN HOWTO it seems clear that a VPN tunnel can be
> established between two linux machines.  However I would like to run a linux
> machine as a server and allow windows client to establish tunnels.  Is it
> possible to achieve this and can the standard windows 2000 VPN client be
> used or is another 3rd party client required?.

OpenVPN cannot be run on Windows at this time, due to the absence of a TUN/TAP
driver for Windows.  This driver is under development, but it may be some time
before it is complete.

OpenVPN can, however, route traffic from/to windows boxes, but it is necessary
to have OpenVPN running on boxes at both ends of the connection, on the OSes
which OpenVPN currently supports (Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X).

I personally use OpenVPN running on Linux to route windows traffic between two
locations with great success.  My local windows boxes can subscribe to an NT
domain over the VPN, browse shares, etc.

James