Re: [Openvpn-users] possibility

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] possibility
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 22:27:52 -0000

I can't send this message to you directly because your ISP is censoring your
incoming email to reduce the amount of spam your receive.  See message below.

The original message was received at Sat, 3 May 2003 13:29:16 -0600
from localhost.localdomain []

    (reason: 550 5.0.0 Access denied (Policy - Abuse).)

.. while talking to mx1-chcgil.chcgil.ameritech.net.:
>>> MAIL From:<jim@xxxxxxxxx>
<<< 550 5.0.0 Access denied (Policy - Abuse).
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Hi John,

In order for OpenVPN to work correctly, you need to have a
Linux/BSD/Solaris/MacOsX machine at each end of the connection, and at least
one of them should have a public IP address.  Public means that you can access
it or ping it from somewhere else on the internet, but it does not necessarily
mean that it is fixed (i.e. not dynamic).

Some cable routers don't have an address, and instead enable a single machine
connected to it to export a DHCP-provided dynamic address to the internet.

If your cable router has it's own IP address, then it's possible that you
might have a subnet, i.e. the capability to connect multiple computers behind
the router, each having its own IP address.  Do you know if this is the case?

If so, you need to figure out what the public IP address is of your machine
and then use that address to configure your dyndns.org account.

I have a cable router (actually more like a bridge) as well, but it doesn't
have its own address.  I have a linux box connected to it and I have a script
that automatically updates my 'yonan.net' record on dyndns.org whenever my IP
address changes.  It works fairly well.