Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Scalability

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN Scalability
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 05:05:17 -0000

Don,

One openvpn tunnel consumes the following resources:

 1 process (1 thread in non-pthread mode, 3 threads in pthread mode)
 1 tun or tap virtual device
 1 UDP socket and port number
 several file descriptors (depending on options)

You can run as many concurrent openvpn tunnels as you'd like, provided your
system can provide the above resources.

James

Don Howard <Don.Howard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Here is my tentative plan, build openvpn for an embedded Linux device
(either running an arm chip or Intel, yet to be determined and may be
determined by which I can get working first)  Then these devices will be out
in the field and tunnel back to the DataCenter.  My question is how scalable
is openVPN, can I have 100, 1000 or even 5000 tunnels with appropriate
hardware?  It is looking like I will end up going with the arm chip as the
Intel board vendor is being very tight with the kernel source and I get a
bunch of unresolved symbol errors when trying to insmod the tun.o driver.  I
need to cross compile the tun, lzo, ssl and openvpn packages for the arm chip
and go from there.  Any ideas on scaling would be appreciated.