Re: [Openvpn-users] SSL and install problem solved

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] SSL and install problem solved
  • From: "James Yonan" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:51:48 -0000

OpenVPN's configure script assumes that if OpenSSL has been installed
correctly, that the headers and libraries will be in gcc's default path.  This
is a standard assumption across build scripts that link with OpenSSL.

For those cases where this assumption is incorrect, OpenVPN's configure script
provides options for explicitly setting the header and/or library path for
OpenSSL (see INSTALL for more info).

Also note that with Redhat, you need the openssl-devel RPM in order to get the
header files that are required to build OpenVPN.

James

Don Howard <Don.Howard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> I am just posting this because I thought it might be useful and I found
nothing on it when I was searching the archives or google.

> I have 2 machines running redhat 8.0 that I am trying to get talking with
openvpn.  One of them seemed to already have had openssl on it and the install
and configure went fine.  The other machine did not have openssl so I
downloaded openssl-0.9.7b.tar.gz from openssl.org.  It was listed as the
current version.  I ran and compiled ssl and it installed fine into the
/usr/local/ssl directory which has under it the include directory.  When I ran
the openvpn ./configure I got the following output:

> configure: checking for openssl crypto library and header files
> checking openssl/evp.h usability... no
> checking openssl/evp.h presence... no
> checking for openssl.evp.h... no
> configure: error: openssl crypto library not found.
>
> I looked through the configure script and it seems to be looking for
/usr/include/openssl for these files while they were in
/usr/local/ssl/include/openssh on my system.  I then copied that directory to
/usr/include/openssl (which did not previously exsit) but now get the