[Openvpn-devel] A configuration improvement suggestion: to use "port/protocol" pair

  • Subject: [Openvpn-devel] A configuration improvement suggestion: to use "port/protocol" pair
  • From: Tony <kb2wjw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:09:59 +0400

I'm trying to create one "client.ovpn" file for all networking situations.
This is because I run OpenVPN on winXP-SP2 as non-admin user.

# Are we connecting to a TCP or
# UDP server?  Use the same setting as
# on the server.
;proto tcp
proto udp

# The hostname/IP and port of the server.
# You can have multiple remote entries
# to load balance between the servers.
remote my.server.net 1194
remote server 11194
remote my.server.net 443

With this (current) scheme I have to use "runas" to edit "client.ovpn" on the fly to switch from UDP to TCP.

What about making it this way:

# The hostname/IP and port of the server.
# You can have multiple remote entries
# to load balance between the servers.
remote my.server.net 1194/udp
remote server 11194/udp
remote my.server.net 443/tcp

Then, if server has three instances of corresponding configs - it would be possible to avoid editing client's configs.

My goal is to penetrate tightly filtered perimeters where only proxyed HTTP and HTTPS are allowed.

Please comment.

Tony.