[Openvpn-users] How to assign random external IPs to OpenVPN users?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] How to assign random external IPs to OpenVPN users?
  • From: Perfect Privacy <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 06:37:18 +0100

Hello,

We have a dedicated server with 11 external IPs. On this server, we also
have an OpenVPN server installed. We have several hundreds of OpenVPN
users, all of which use the same client certificate (--duplicate-cn). We
also use PAM password authentification. My users are not all connected
at the same time of course, but maybe one dozen to a couple of dozens of
users at the same time, depending on the time of the day.

What now happens if an OpenVPN client connects to the OpenVPN server is
that the server will assign its "main IP" to him. If he goes to
http://www.whatismyip.com/ he will always see the same "main IP" of my
server, while the other IPs are actually never used.

What I would like to achieve is that I "randomly" assign any of my 11
external IPs to him, and that not always only the "main IP" is used.

This is maybe not directly a problem that concerns OpenVPN but more a
network question.  I also have Squid installed, for example, and have
the same problem there. The user always gets the same external "main IP"
of my server, while the others remain unused. I, however, would like to
assign "randomly" any of my 11 external IPs to him.