Re: [Openvpn-users] lightweight network protocol to use?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] lightweight network protocol to use?
  • From: "Leonard Isham" <leonard.isham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 18:48:27 -0500

On Feb 5, 2008 5:20 PM, <yan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a VPN connecting two samba servers.  ATM we're using cifs protocol
over the VPN Link, which is proving to be really slow.

Since I have linux on both ends, there is no need for cifs between the
servers.  Is there some lightweight protocol that we can use?  NFS?
Something that doesn't have a lot of overhead?

My customers are getting much higher transfer rates by using GoToMyPC
which kind of defeats the whole purpose of OpenVPN.

MS protocols are designed for LAN use and tend to be very chatty.  Think of the delays when talking to someone on a space mission...

While I don't know the details of CIF,  what the types of files are in use or any details of their requirements...

Would rsync or unison fit the requirements. but if GoToMyPC to transfer files.