[Openvpn-users] Certificate Revocation Issue

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Certificate Revocation Issue
  • From: Aidan Anderson <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:26:57 +0000

Hi List,

I have been testing the setup of OpenVPN 2.0 and easy-rsa version 2.0
for possible deployment in our network.  I have come across an issue
with revoking certificates.

First off, it allows you to create multiple certificates with the same
common name.  This is pointed out in the documentation as useful for
creating a certificate with the same common as a previously revoked
certificate (lost passwords etc.).  However, if you create 2
certificates with the same common name and issue the ./revoke-full
command on the common name, it revokes the most recently created
certificate.  If you issue the revoke command again with the same common
name, it says that the certificate is already revoked.  When I tested
connection to the server from a client PC, the revoked certificate is
rejected as expected but the certificate created initially still works
and you have no way of revoking it.  Having a certificate out in the
field that you cannot revoke is obviously very dangerous and will give
you a big headache if you have to create a new CA an re-issue all your
certificates.

How have other people coped with this?  Would the best plan be to write
a wrapper for the revoke-full command to ensure that a common name
cannot be created if a valid one already exists?  I could do this by
reading the contents of index.txt.

Any thoughts?

regards,
Aidan