[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN gaming network by marco fretz =)

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN gaming network by marco fretz =)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:28:15 +0100

hi dave

good to know that there are guys with similar problems / ideas =)
i made a special and tested config and wrote a simple and stupid auth
script for openvpn

i tested older games like GTA2, command & conquer, total annihilation, etc.
newer games like command & conquer tiberium wars are working aswell.

as far i can see all games using broadcast, unicasts or of course
multicasts to communigate between the players are working probaly.

my idea was to create a private network over the internet. and of course
this is VPN. openvpn does the job.

good to know:
- use udp as openvpn transport, tcp will lag most of all games, games
are not playable with tcp
- dont use comp-lzo, cause older PCs may dont have enough perfomance
while playing news games
- use openVPN gui for the "stupid" gamers using windows :)

more about that on: http://www.marcofretz.li/content/view/20/26/
(unfortunately only in german at the moment)

if u have further ideas drop me a line pls :) any information is welcome!

regards marco