[Openvpn-users] Road Warrior email sending

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Road Warrior email sending
  • From: "Jeff Boyce" <jboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:45:16 -0800

Greetings -

I just set up my first road warrior openvpn laptop client and am having one
minor problem with regards to emailing.  The client is running Windows Vista
and Openvpn 2.0.9.  The server is RedHat Linux also running Openvpn 2.0.9.
>From a public access wifi point, the client is able to access the internet
and remotely access the office Samba server running on the same box as
Openvpn.  They are also able to receive email through their standard Windows
Mail client program.  However, they are unable to send mail from the Windows
Mail client program.  When this laptop is in the office and is connected to
the local network, sending and receiving mail works correctly through the
Windows mail client.  I am assuming that I need to make some change in the
laptops Openvpn configuration file, or a routing tweak.  How do other part
time road warriors set up their system so that email works the same whether
in the office, or outside with remote access?  I tried adding
redirect-gateway to the laptop config file, but the only effect of that was
to disable receiving emails.  Additional details of my network and client
are listed below.  Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

Office internet connection provided through Qwest DSL.
Outgoing mail uses local Qwest mail server (pop.sttl.qwest.net)

Laptop Client Config.
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 1194
pull
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
tls-client
ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\ca.crt"
cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\laptop.crt"
key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\config\\laptop.key"
ns-cert-type server
resolv-retry infinite
comp-lzo
route-method exe