Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN client on Vista

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN client on Vista
  • From: Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães <leolistas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:32:52 -0300

    You're running with non-admin user. OpenVPN needs some network privileges for adding the new (and required) routes for traffic flowing through the VPN tunnel.

    You have to run with some admin user OR get the right permissions on your non-admin user. I dont know what's the right privilege on Vista neither how to give privileges on Vista. But that's the point, you dont have right for creating new routes and, thus, nothing will flow through the vpn tunnel.

Paul Harlow escreveu:

Hello,

I keep seeing that it’s possible to run OpenVPN on Vista however I cannot get it to work on a laptop with Vista Business installed. OpenVPN 2.1_rc4 installs flawlessly and the drivers appear to install without issues as well. Initially I’ve tested this client/server setup on Windows XP and it works flawlessly.

When I connect the client on Vista (using the GUI tool) it appears to connect successfully however no traffic will route via the ‘new’ interface. When I look in the log I get the following errors:

NOTE: FlushIpNetTable failed on interface [18] {CE78FFF2-3B21-4A7F-931E-6D07AE329934} (status=5) : Access is denied.

TEST ROUTES: 2/2 succeeded len=2 ret=1 a=0 u/d=up

route ADD 10.9.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.10.9.5

ROUTE: route addition failed using CreateIpForwardEntry: Access is denied.   [status=5 if_index=18]

Route addition via IPAPI failed [adaptive]

Route addition fallback to route.exe

The requested operation requires elevation.

ERROR: Windows route add command failed [adaptive]: system() returned error code 1

route ADD 10.10.9.1 MASK 255.255.255.255 10.10.9.5

ROUTE: route addition failed using CreateIpForwardEntry: Access is denied.   [status=5 if_index=18]

Route addition via IPAPI failed [adaptive]

Route addition fallback to route.exe

The requested operation requires elevation.

ERROR: Windows route add command failed [adaptive]: system() returned error code 1

Initialization Sequence Completed

Are there fixes or work arounds to this? I cannot find anything and the archives only go back to April.

Paul

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues