[Openvpn-users] speed

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] speed
  • From: "Mira Suk" <mira.suk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 21:29:06 +0200

Hi,

openVPN 2.0.9
server Windows SBS 2003
clients Window XP / Vista

config
TUN, UDP , blowfish / compression on

Are following speeds normal (in that configuration) or should I look for something wrong ? Any recommendations ? (note I tried disabling compression but nothing changed - file was compressed and OpenVPN is smart ;)

file download (one big file :)
File sharing through VPN         62 minutes
FTP through VPN                       53 minutes
FTP without VPN                        32 minutes
pings are great I would say.
ping through VPN                      ~23 ms
ping without VPN                       ~19 ms

I have never troubleshooted slowness with OpenVPN, but this link is slow (2MBit)... and I have not used win2K3 before (only linux and win2K)

Oh, and I noticed option "nice" is not implemented for windows [SetPriorityClass, SetThreadPriority] can be used (If I haven't been too lazy to dig in source, I wouldn't have hardcoded it), also CPU affinity makes some small benefits under windows.

Thanks for any hints.