Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn tap network limits

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn tap network limits
  • From: "Prasanna Krishnamoorthy" <prasanna79@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:25:05 +0530

On 8/17/07, Williams, Jason <JWilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does anyone know if OpenVPN has a limit to the number of tunnels that
> can be connected at one time? The book "OpenVPN: Building and
> Integrating Virtual Private Networks" mentions in passing that there is
> a 128 tunnel limit but doesn't elaborate. Has anyone experienced a hard
> limit? Our network could potentially exceed this number.

Could someone clarify on this? We're planning to have a network with a
large number of nodes, but the average traffic is probably not going
to be very high. So we'd probably hit any limit on the number of
tunnels before we run out of steam on the encryption.

> Also, what about practical limits? We're building a network using dev
> tap and TLS. Hardware is a dual Xeon with 4 GB of RAM and two gigabit
> NICs. I would expect that we're going to overload our server before we
> hit the 128 mark even with typical road warrior usage.

On the inverse, what's the maximum average traffic anyone's seen on
this list. I'm asking about both real-world, and simulated.