[Openvpn-users] TLS: tls_process, killed expiring key - What does this mean?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] TLS: tls_process, killed expiring key - What does this mean?
  • From: "Jacob Graham" <jgraham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:26:35 -0500

I am currently running OpenVPN with a distributed program. After running for a certain amount of time, it will print the message

"TLS: tls_process, killed expiring key"

After this message is sent, it causes erroneous behavior. I am having difficulty finding out exactly what this message means. The certificate keys that I am using expire in the year 2017, so it can't possibly be that OpenVPN thinks that they have expired. I did some research with Google and found some information regarding "lame duck" keys (expiring keys). It would appear that OpenVPN creates session keys that it will 'renegotiate' after some specified amount of time. If that is the case, and if these keys expire, does this cause OpenVPN to restart?