Re: [Openvpn-users] TCP vs UDP

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] TCP vs UDP
  • From: David <wizzardx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 22:49:24 +0200

On 7/4/07, Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Where can I find a discussion of the use
> of TCP and UDP with OpenVPN?
> Thanks,
> Mike.

>From the openvpn manpage, for the " --proto p" option:

"OpenVPN is designed to operate optimally over UDP, but TCP capability
is provided for situations where UDP cannot be used. In comparison
with UDP, TCP will usually be somewhat less efficient and less robust
when used over unreliable or congested networks.

This article outlines some of problems with tunneling IP over TCP:

http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html