[Openvpn-users] MULTI: bad source address from client

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] MULTI: bad source address from client
  • From: "Andrew Smith" <andrew.rse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:22:13 +0100

Hi

(Hope this is the right place to post this, I'm rather new to mailing lists)

I have an OpenVPN set up as follows

Server

port 8080
proto tcp
dev tun
ca ca.crt
cert server.crt
key server.key
dh dh1024.pem
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
keepalive 10 120
persist-key
persist-tun
comp-lzo
status openvpn-status.log
verb 5
client-disconnect ./disconnect.pl
push "redirect-gateway def1"

Client

client
dev tun
proto tcp
remote server.address 8080
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert name.crt
key name.key
verb 4
mute 10
comp-lzo

I'm not sure what you can tell from these config files but the intention of the setup is that the client connects to the server across the internet and from the openvpn server the internet can be accessed by the client. This is basically tunneling, allowing the client's internet data to be encrypted and also (hopefully) meaning that packet shaping measures / blocking / etc. will not work on the client. I had this working fine for a while, but now (and I'm not sure what I changed, I'm afraid) I receive this error:

RThu Jul  5 17:10:06 2007 us=338898 name/x.x.x.x:51783 MULTI: bad source address from client [192.168.0.99], packet dropped

over and over again and the internet access that worked doesn't work, preceding this are no errors and connection to the OpenVPN server works just fine. It's probably worth noting that when it *did* work I occasionally got this error message but could not link it with anything not working (all internet activity seemed to function normally where as now it doesn't).

I'm really stuck here and any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew Smith