[Openvpn-users] Windows file sharing - tap?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Windows file sharing - tap?
  • From: "Jeff -" <unix_core@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 22:18:21 -0700

Currently I have a file server running off a Windows Server 2003
machine.  I set up a Linux Gateway box and configured OpenVPN.
Remotely I am able to connect to it, and mount the shared directory
from the windows file server.

The problem is that using this is really slow.  It often just locks
up the computer for minutes at a time, sometimes taking up to 10
minutes to show the contents of a directory.

Referring to the following:
http://openvpn.net/howto.html#vpntype

it says the following:

--------------------
I would recommend using routing unless you need a specific feature
which requires bridging, such as:
you would like to allow browsing of Windows file shares across the
VPN without setting up a Samba or WINS server.

I currently have it set up as tun.  Is this my problem?  Will
switching to tap fix my EXTREMELY slow connection?  I am not
expecting LAN speeds, but something is definately wrong with my
setup.  I've tried using tcpdump but I'm not really sure what I'm
looking for.  Help is appreciated!

=
Live Answering Service
Answering. Live operators 24/7. Rates start at $39/100 calls.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=202d1706cc4cee71bfb381fc2102ef01