Re: [Openvpn-users] Outlook problem

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Outlook problem
  • From: Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 00:27:28 -0500
  • Z-usanet-msgid: XID698LFyFbI0119X39

Michael D. Berger wrote:
> I have openvpn with a bridge running on a Linux
> (FC4) box.  On a Win2k box in a shared directory
> I keep my MS Outlook file.  I generally run
> Outlook itself on another Win2k box on the LAN.
> I can also run it from my WinXP laptop with
> no problem if it is on the LAN.  However, if
> I try to run it over the VPN it barely functions
> at all.  I have iptables on the linux box, but
> it is set to log anything it drops, and it is not
> dropping any packets.
>
> Suggestions would be much appreciated.
I'm not all that familiar with how Outlook handles accessing its data
files, but from your description it sounds like the file access is too
much for your uplink to handle.  When you connect locally the available
bandwidth between the computer sharing the file and the machine viewing
the Outlook mail file is much larger than over the Internet.  Have you
checked to see how much data is transferred across the network when you
try to open Outlook and move about the mail folders?  My guess is that
you'll find each action you do is actually trying to pull large amounts
of data across the VPN which causes Outlook to stall until it completes
the file read.  Normally Outlook will be expecting this file to be local
to the computer or otherwise quickly accessible, and a slow file access
speed will give symptoms almost exactly as you described.

--
Josh