Re: [Openvpn-users] iTunes sharing over OpenVPN?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] iTunes sharing over OpenVPN?
  • From: "Philip Brocoum" <philip.brocoum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:06:59 -0400

I've received many replies, so thank you all.  The basic message I've
been getting however is that Bonjour / multicasting cannot be routed
over a VPN?  Or, in other words, iTunes sharing over the Internet is
impossible.

Drat.

Out of curiosity, what exactly does a VPN do?  Because I thought it
made it seem as though many computers in distant places were all on
the same local network.  However, if this were the case, why wouldn't
network services work, such as iTunes sharing?

The explanation I'm leaning towards now is this: a VPN gives each
computer a special IP address, and if you connect to a remote computer
using that specified IP address, all traffic between you and that
computer will be encrypted.  And you don't have to worry about port
forwarding like you have to with ssh.  Is that the general gist of it?
 And, since you can't tell iTunes the specific IP address of the
computer you want to share with, iTunes sharing doesn't work.

Kind of a non-technical description, but what do you think?

*sigh* why do VPNs have to be so complicated? ;-P