[Openvpn-users] Routing and Windows browsing with WINS

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Routing and Windows browsing with WINS
  • From: Mi <mi.lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:26:22 +0200

Hello,

Using routing (not bridging), I understand it should be possible to see
the Windows LAN from the Windows client, if there is a WINS server on
the remote LAN. Is that correct?

It doesn't seem to work for me. I can only see the samba server on the
lan, not the other Windows XP hosts, even though I can ping them.

This is my setup:

Client: Windows XP client behind standard ADSL NAT router

Linux NAT gateway/firewall with OpenVPN server

Windows LAN including a Linux Samba/Wins workgroup server and WinXP
workstations (No Windows domain)

I can connect to the Samba server and list it's shares (net view
\\samba_server). However, I cannot view the shares of other WinXP
machines on the LAN, nor connect to them, nor view the workgroup
computers. I can however ping them by IP and also by their short Windows
name.

I read that I could use iroute in a ccd file. But what I read seemed to:
- be meant for accessing the server LAN from the whole client LAN, which
I don't want. Only individual client computers from foreign LANs should
have acces.
- require indicating the client LAN IPs through an iroute directive. But
I don't know the IP scheme used on the client LAN (it can be anything
for notebooks which connect from anywhere)

So that didn't sound like the solution, unless there is something I am
misunderstanding.

Using the tun interface and routing, with a WINS server, is it possible
to browse remote Windows workgroup computers?

Thanks for any help,