Re: [Openvpn-users] Beginner's questions on setting up simple VPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Beginner's questions on setting up simple VPN
  • From: "Yang" <jyyug3e02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:08:14 -0700

On 6/13/07, Erich Titl erich.titl-at-think.ch |openvpn|
<...> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yang schrieb:
> > My impression was that the server's network is the one that gets
> > shared with the client, but if the opposite can happen, then I suppose
> > I don't need to tunnel over SSH. (As you can see, I'm a bit lost. :)
> >
> SSH tunnels, which you appear to be used to, allow you a certain number
> of predefined connections, whereas a VPN tunnel is what the name
> implies, a _tunnel_. It does not share anything by itself, but it allows
> you to open connections to a remote site by using the tunnel as if it
> was a dedicated network. If you can use the standard ports, do so, if
> you have to go through a restrictive firewall (apparently port 22 is
> open) then use one of the allowed ports. No need to tunnel through SSH.
>
> I suggest to look into the simple examples in the docs. If you get stuck
> there come back here with details.
>
> cheers
>
> Erich

I think I understand VPN tunneling vs. SSH tunneling. And I did look
at the example on the "static.html" tutorial, that's what sent me
here.

No, port 22 is not open - that's why I had to use a *reverse* SSH
tunnel (just to log in). Then, once I log in, I can create local
tunnels to whatever other host:ports I want on the LAN, and then
access them via more remote tunnels (chained tunnels).