[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN as a Windows system service?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN as a Windows system service?
  • From: "Richard Hartmann" <richih.nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 18:24:09 +0200

Hi all,

we need to establish a OpenVPN connection before the user even logs in
to Windows. I have to admit that I am not much of a Windows user, but
I think we could achieve this with running OpenVPN as a Windows System
Service.

As we are using an Aladdin eToken with OpenSC to store the
certificates, we are using OpenVPN 2.1 RC4.

If you know of any way to pass the PIN for the token to OpenVPN via
config file, I would also appreciate any pointers on this.

I know that this reduces the security considerably, but I know of no
way to manually enter the PIN before logging in (It would work with
Linux :/ ). Establishing the connection before login is a hard
requirement, whereas the PIN-less loading is not, so any hints that
are not exactly in sync would still be gladly received.