[Openvpn-users] (Client) having 2 simultanious connections

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] (Client) having 2 simultanious connections
  • From: "Maximilian Messmer" <cspm2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:17:49 +0100

Hello,
I have a little troube with openvpn.

I have setup a linux machine as the vpnserver and am using a windows xp client with sp2 as the client. The server and the client have to nics. Both nics are in different subnets, the first is 192.168.0.0 which is used for lan connectivity and the secound is 192.168.1.0 is used to simulate wlan connectivity.

What I am trying to achive is, that if a worker leaves his desk with his laptop, he can use the wlan to connect to the vpn. He must also be connected to the vpn if he is connected through the lan and the switch must be transparent for him

So far I have configured two tap interfaces on the client, created two configs and gave the client 2 certificates. Both connections are working by themselves.

The problem is that If I unplug one of the lans, the coresponding tap interface is still up which means that openvpn is still running and that the route to the openvpn server is still stored in the routing table. If I try to access the vpn server now through the vpn it is still trying to take the route through the unplugged lan, which of course doesnt exist anymore.

So far the only solution Ive come up with is to write a script that monitors the network connections and disables the tap interface whenever the lan cord is unplugged. I was wondering if there is a better solution for this problem?

-max