[Openvpn-users] Setting up a VPN without using a private network

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Setting up a VPN without using a private network
  • From: Peter Gavin <pgavin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:11:57 -0500

Hello,

I've been given the task of setting up an OpenVPN server here where I
work.  So far, I've been able to set up a pretty simple routed
configuration with the clients in a 10.x.x.x block, with the following
config:

local x.x.x.66
port 1194
proto udp
dev tun
server 10.x.x.0 255.255.255.0
etc...

However, I'd like to give the clients real internet IPs.  I've been
given a block of addresses, x.x.x.64/26, which I want to use for that
purpose.  The server will listen for OpenVPN traffic on x.x.x.66, and
the gateway for that interface is x.x.x.65.  I'd like the VPN clients to
be allocated addresses from x.x.x.96/27. I tried changing the server line to

server x.x.x.96 255.255.255.224

but I wasn't able to ping through the tunnel.  I tried playing with the
routes on each end of the tunnel, but wasn't able to get anywhere with
that.  I was going to try experimenting with brctl to see if I could get
something working, but decided just to post here and see if anyone else
has done this before.  Is what I want to do even possible?

BTW,  the server is running Fedora Core 6, and OpenVPN 2.1_rc2 (from the
Fedora repo).

Thanks,
Peter Gavin
<pgavin@xxxxxxxxxxx>