[Openvpn-users] Anyone using PPTP over openVPN ?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Anyone using PPTP over openVPN ?
  • From: Thibault Le Meur <Thibault.LeMeur@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:48:36 +0100

Hi,

I'm looking for replacement of a strongswan/l2tp roadwarrior vpn
solution and am thinking about having PPTP (or l2tp) over openVPN.

I've noticed equivalent questions in the past but without true return
of experience.

I need to keep my old solution features (rsa host authentication +
password-based user authentication + radius server accounting and IP
pool management + iptables tules). Here is what I imagine:
* get an ssl tunnel with mutual authentication of the server and the
client host (asymetric crypto authentication)
* then run a PPP-over-ip-like protocol (pptp or l2tp) to authenticate
the end user against a radius server (password based authentication)
* the radius server will assign an IP address from a pool
corresponding to the user profile (several profiles defined) and
record accounting data
* the vpn server will then enforce different iptables rules to these
pre-defined IP addresses pools

Is it possible ? Is anyone sucessfully using such a solution ?
Is there any good doc on such a setup ?

Thanks in advance to guide me through my first steps toward a working
openVPN test platform.

Thibault