[Openvpn-users] Windows XP: 'VPNTap' is not a TUN/TAP device

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Windows XP: 'VPNTap' is not a TUN/TAP device
  • From: Udo Rader <udo.rader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:51:46 +0100

Hi,

I've already done a couple of openvpn installations but this time, I am
completely lost.

After installing the latest 2.0.9 version of openvpn including the
tun/tap device any connect fails right after the initial negotiation
phase has been completed with the following message:

---------CUT---------
[...]
Fri Jan 26 21:39:18 2007 OPTIONS IMPORT: --ifconfig/up options modified
Fri Jan 26 21:39:18 2007 OPTIONS IMPORT: route options modified
Fri Jan 26 21:39:18 2007 'VPNTap' is not a TUN/TAP device.  The
--ifconfig option works only for TUN/TAP devices.
---------CUT---------

Now VPNTap _is_ the name of the TAP-Win32 Adapter (which nicely shows up
in the network connections list).

I also tried to install the 64bit version of the TAP adapter without
success (the CPU is 64bit, but the preinstalled Windows is 32bit).

And the development doesn't change anything, either ...

Any ideas?

TIA

Udo Rader

--