Re: [Openvpn-users] Iptables: match by OpenVPN client IP address rather than source address?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Iptables: match by OpenVPN client IP address rather than source address?
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:01:02 +0000

Serge

Serge Wautier wrote:
> Erich, Les, thanks for your replies.
>
> NAT won't work for me because the remote LANs contain servers. The goal is
> to let users access their servers in their remote LANs.
> IP Masquerading won't work either for the same reason (er... Is this true?
> I'm a complete newbie to Linux!).
>
> Port Forwarding is what I need. Unfortunately... The boxes used as OpenVPN
> clients on the remote LANs don't support it! Please don't tell me to get rid
> of them: I'm doing this job on behalf of these boxes' manufacturer :-) It's
> a niche market in industrial automation and telemetry.

What OS are they running? If it is anything like Linux, you should not
have a problem. With Windoze this might be different, but who would
actually choose M$ for a networking job.... If they are embedded boxes
there are a number of Linux or *BSD distros that have a small footprint.
Actually I am running all my OpenVPN boxes on embedded systems.

cheers

Erich