Re: [Openvpn-users] problem setting up vpn bridge:internetconnectionis lost

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] problem setting up vpn bridge:internetconnectionis lost
  • From: "Joris Kinable" <deus87@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 10:41:33 +0100

Thnx for your reply. I've tried to get it working:

openvpn server.conf (using dev tun):
dev tun
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
push "redirect-gateway"
push "dhcp-option DNS 130.90.5.2"
push "dhcp-option DNS 130.90.5.3"
push "dhcp-option WINS 130.90.6.20"
push "dhcp-option WINS 130.90.6.21"

Firewall rules:
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 1194 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i tun+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i tap+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tap+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s  10.8.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

Other:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

The good news is that it is now possible to get into the
servernetwork. The problem remains that UDP broadcasting doesn't work
with this config since broadcasts aren't forwarded over a routed vpn.

So I tried your suggestion to use dev tap and the above firewall rules:

openvpn server.conf (using dev tap without creating a bridge):
dev tap
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
push "redirect-gateway"
push "dhcp-option DNS 130.90.5.2"
push "dhcp-option DNS 130.90.5.3"
push "dhcp-option WINS 130.90.6.20"
push "dhcp-option WINS 130.90.6.21"

With this config UDP broadcast still don't work, and even worse it is
not possible to get onto the servers network anymore. So do you have
any idea what I need to change?

Joris