[Openvpn-users] Creating a virtual LAN for gaming and sharing

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Creating a virtual LAN for gaming and sharing
  • From: sheridan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:01:22 +0100 (CET)

Hello to All! :)

First I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a nice holiday.

I'm completely new on this list and also to OpenVPN. I have a problem that
has been nagging me for days now and I can't seem to make it work no
matter what. I've searched all over, and followed several "howto"s
including the documentation on the OpenVPN page. I was hoping maybe you
could point out where I'm wrong in my concept or rather, what way should I
progress.

But let me start at the beginning... The concept is rather simple at first
glance. Me and my friends and co-workers and their friends, etc. would
like to create a VPN for ourselves with one central server and many
clients (12-30), thus creating a virtual LAN which would support: samba
shares, LAN games (IPX,...) and basically anything you would do on a
"normal" LAN. But all-in-all, LAN gaming would be the most important thing
for now.

About the server: It's a Mandriva Linux 2007 powered SunFire 2100, with
direct 100mb/s uplink to the internet. It has two interfaces, eth1 is for
the Internet, eth0 is unused and unplugged and is for occasional
administration only. The server has Shorewall 3 as firewall.

About the clients: They are as diverse as they can get. Most have
Linux/BSD boxes, Many have Windows XP/2003 and a couple has Solaris, MAC,
etc. Very few of them has direct Internet connection. Most are behind
university firewalls/routers, home LANs or even office LANs, but they can
communicate with the Internet with any port without the need to use proxy
servers. But with a few exceptions, they are not visible from the outside
as Internet IP. Many of them have more than one ethernet cards and connect
to several LANs at once. Those LANs on the client sides are preferably not
to be included into our VPN, just the single clients each connecting
separately.

Dare I ask... how do I set up the server and the clients to create this
virtual LAN? More precisely, if we take for basis the howto on the OpenVPN
site: http://openvpn.net/howto.html, then what is different, what special
thing do I have to "set up" in order to make this work?

If anyone can help then please be so kind to explain this to me. If my
question is redundant then I'm very sorry, but I'm really a newbie at
this...

Thank you very much in advance.

Levente Peres