Re: [Openvpn-users] using user/pass in parallel with certificates

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] using user/pass in parallel with certificates
  • From: Silver Salonen <silver@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:48:19 +0200

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 15:36, Silver Salonen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I found a thread ("2.0 Feature Freeze Discussion") from mail-archive where
> people were discussing (as I understood) whether to implement an
> authentication fall-back function (or something like that). But eventually I
> didn't get it what you/they decided.
>
> So I'm wondering now whether it's possible to use certificate- as well as
> user-pass authentication in parallel - I'd like to set up OpenVPN for
linking
> multiple LANs (with Windows servers as OpenVPN-clients that would use
> certificates) as well as for allowing roadwarriors to authenticate
themselves
> with their usernames-passwords from /etc/passwd. What would be the options?
>
> Silver

Well, let me clarify the question a bit.

I understand that it's possible to use authentication methods:
* only certificates
* only usernames-passwords
* certificates AND usernames-passwords

The question is whether it's possible to use method:
* certificates OR usernames-passwords (so that client could choose which
method to use)

Silver