Re: [Openvpn-users] Openvpn Failover configuration

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Openvpn Failover configuration
  • From: Schlomo Schapiro <openvpn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:11:05 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Charles Duffy wrote:

> This is pretty close to what I've done in the past, except that I was using
> UCARP over Ethernet and not bothering with the serial-line approach. (I
> probably *wouldn't* use UCARP again, and would look more closely at Linux-HA
> -- but that's a discussion I'd rather not get into at this time).

I am looking into the same question right now (set up a HA Linux
router) and I am looking for experiences regarding ucarp<->heartbeat.
Could you maybe post me some considerations / caveats off-list ? It would
be most appreciated

> Anyhow, the point I was making is that even when the server is switched out
> instantaneously, the process is not quite invisible to the clients (which need
> to establish a new session). As you say, keepalive/ping-restart/etc can be
> configured to try to make this as quick as possible.

Don't you use persist-key and persist-tun ? In my case these parameters
work as expected and conceal the reconnect from the client. Just packets
don't pass during the reconnect. But SSH and SMB sessions stay perfectly
open.

--
Regards,
Schlomo