Re: [Openvpn-users] Does redirect-gateway tunnel LAN traffic? [was Re: how does it work?]

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Does redirect-gateway tunnel LAN traffic? [was Re: how does it work?]
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:50:15 -0500

Hoda Hoseinee wrote:
> my server and client subnet is 172.16.0.0./17(my server and client are
> in the same lan)and my server's vpn network ip is 10.8.0.1 and my client
> is 10.8.0.6.
> if I use redirect gateway,and my client would like to connect to the ip
> for example 172.16.2.3,does the paket go through tunnel (and vpn server
> must managed it)or direct access to the destination ip?

redirect-gateway only redirects traffic which would be going through the
default gateway -- not traffic on your same subnet.

You can determine when traffic is going through the VPN yourself using a
tool such as wireshark (formerly ethereal) to watch the packets and see
which interface they're going through.