[Openvpn-users] Routing issue in Linux

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Routing issue in Linux
  • From: "David Bandel" <david.bandel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:22:46 -0500

Folks,

I have a minor routing issue with on of my openvpn multi-client installs.

I have a frame relay linux router that goes to my provider.  The frame
relay interface to the world has a private IP (192.168.20.14/30).  My
public IPs route through that interface.

On the ethernet side, I have both public and private IPs.
I have iptables nat'ing the box such that all packets that leave from
that box have the source IP changed to the public IP.
I have openvpn server bound only to the public IP.

A client that connects and only gets the private IPs routed (I use
192.168.255.0/24 and 192.168.254.0/24 for management of radios,
routers, etc) works perfectly.

A client that adds the public IPs to its routing table instantly stops
working.  Remove the route for the public block and all works again.

I suspect this has to do with the way I'm having to NAT the router.

I could find no hints about this in the FAQ or in the archives.

Any gurus suggest any workarounds?

TIA,

David A. Bandel
            - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto