[Openvpn-users] ifconfig-push + iproute2 problem

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] ifconfig-push + iproute2 problem
  • From: matteo <matteo.contri@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 00:51:28 +0200

Hello,
i'm using with success openvpn and i found it a great product.

I use the version 2.0.6 on linux on both side.
In my enviroment i'm using a tun device with a server and only one client.
For testing and for future plan in server configuration i'm using the
ccd-config-dir directive with this line for the client:

ifconfig-push 172.16.0.3 172.16.0.4
push "route 10.254.0.0 255.255.255.0"
push "route 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.255"

and at the first time all works like a charm.
But if i restart the client iproute2 give me an error complain about the
fact that the interface already got the ip address pushed by the server.

openvpn[856]: TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
openvpn[856]: TUN/TAP TX queue length set to 100
openvpn[856]: /sbin/ip link set dev tun0 up mtu 1500
openvpn[856]: /sbin/ip addr add dev tun0 local 172.16.0.3 peer 172.16.0.4
openvpn[856]: Linux ip addr add failed: shell command exited with error
status: 2

then this error cause the client to abort.
I need to manually toggle the ip on the interface (ex:  /sbin/ip addr
del dev tun0 172.16.0.3)

I've, also, tried to create a script in down phase, without success.
(maybe an authorization problem)

If i declare the route in the client configuration (for example) at
shutdown they are eliminated as expected.

Can someone help me to configure in the right way the pushing?

Thank you for your attention and sorry for my english.

Matteo