Re: [Openvpn-users] Can you have multiple openvpn instances shae one ipp.txt file?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Can you have multiple openvpn instances shae one ipp.txt file?
  • From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:39:50 -0500

Jeff Myers wrote:
> I am trying to set up a second instance of openvpn (2.0.7) on a Linux
> server and want to have it use the same ipp.txt file.  Basically I want
> client computers to get the same IP address no matter which instance of
> openvpn they connect to.  Is this possible?  The FAQ on openvpn.net
> states you should have separate files, but I’m wondering if there is
> some kind of workaround.

Is this second instance intended to be run concurrently with the primary
one, or in a failover-type environment? In the latter case, if you can
guarantee that only one OpenVPN instance will be up at the same time,
it's safe to have ipp.txt be shared. In the former case, how are packets
supposed to know which OpenVPN instance to be routed to, if clients on
both instances have IP addresses within the same range?

My advice if you're running your OpenVPN instances concurrently is to
use different IP ranges and set up dynamic DNS such that a host's IP
address (whichever server it's on) reverse-resolves to the common name
of the certificate it's connected to. That way routing to the correct
OpenVPN instance based on IP address works, *and* you can know a client
system's identity even if its IP changes.

If this doesn't work for you, though, something else can probably be
worked up using hook scripts -- there's no reason you need to use
OpenVPN's built in IP pool handling, after all, as opposed to putting it
in your client-connect script.