Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows traffic through ovpn routing mode

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Windows traffic through ovpn routing mode
  • From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:06:41 -0500

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 11:12 -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:

> > > You should make sure that NETBIOS is bound to TAP-Win32 adapter and is
> > > *UNBOUND* on the external adapters on both ends.
> > >
> > > However, my preferred method is to use NetBEUI (also bound only to
> > > TAP-Win32 adapter!) instead of NETBIOS-over-TCP. I do successfully all my
> > > workgrouping across OpenVPN connection.
> >
> > Wouldn't that only work on a bridged connection?  That seems like a
> > bad thing to do if there are a lot of machines on either side.
>
> It shouldn't matter. Good bridging software will learn which mac
> addresses are on the other end of which interfaces, and only forward
> traffic to the destination interface. Or is there something I've
> overlooked?

Anything that auto-discovers devices or services is doing it by
broadcasting otherwise unnecessary packets which have to
traverse bridges.  Appletalk, Netbeui and IPX are pretty bad,
and IP does it a little bit.  So, if you have a big office
full of multi-protocol printers and similar devices with
everything enabled you'll be sending a lot of traffic across
a bridged link.  If you have plenty of bandwidth it may not
matter.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx