Re: [Openvpn-users] Recommend way to implement DDNS

In <2a0cac560606081703n75bce51bm50b8370743be8171@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Trevor Osatchuk <fybar27@xxxxxxxxx> typed:
> This might sound like lunacy, but I wrote a script that gets the
> external IP address and when it changes sends out an email with the
> new address.  If he can't connect to the previous IP he can just check
> his email.  My script checks this once an hour, so the maximum wait
> for the IP would be 60 minutes.  This way you don't have to rely on a
> third party.  Just a suggestion.

Well, it depend on whether you want to be able to find the address, or
have a working host name. Email works for the former. I've done
something similar, with a tool that ran once an hour and generated an
HTML page with the current IP address and then scp'ed it to my hosted
web server.

Both of these do depend on a third party, though. In my case, it was
the web host. In your case, it's the email provider.

	<mike