Re: [Openvpn-users] snmp over vpn

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] snmp over vpn
  • From: Jon Bendtsen <jon.bendtsen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:15:34 +0200

Den tirsdag 4.apr kl. 21:49 skrev ... ...:

I've spoken with a guy that works with the equipment
that I'm trying to manage through the VPN tunnel. He
looked at the configuration of that equipment and he
says that it looks good. He says that it's the problem
with the VPN not passing the data. He says that it
might be a problem with configuring the VPN. Below is
my server and client config files. Could anyone look
at it and tell me if I'm missing something. I don't
have a single firewall on any of the machines on the
network, so I don't think it's a firewall issue. I
tried googling the problem but it looks like I'm the
only one that's trying to pass SNMP over VPN. Thank
you...

Your config files for OpenVPN seems fine. Now start using a network sniffer and follow the packet path from end to end, along all possible computers/routers/network interfaces.

A few things to look for.

Since the equipment doing the SNMP is most likely not
running openvpn, then i'd start thinking of the routing setup.

On both LAN's, both the client and the server side. Make sure that
the default gateway knows how to route packets to the other side.
it should be sent through the openvpn client/server.

Also notice that if you on the server side want to reach the client lan,
you have to use an iroute directive to push it to the client.

Maybe you should draw a map of your network setup so we can look
at that and get a better understandig of the problem.

JonB