[Openvpn-users] Re: Performance Issues with Gigabit Encryption

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Re: Performance Issues with Gigabit Encryption
  • From: Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Mar 2006 12:58:56 +0100

JD> I am very surprised to see the 980 Mbps throughput you discribe.
JD> Most Operating Systems can do very well at about 200 Mbs in a 1
JD> Gbs network. Why is this? Mostly it is becuase the bulk of the
JD> communication stack is implemented is software. How do Switch and
JD> router vendors do it. There stack is in firmware and hardware.

This is completely bollocks, any decent machine will do >900Mbps
across Gbps ethernet these days. I just did a quick test, two Linux
machines doing lots of other stuff at the same time:

$ iperf -B 10.0.1.3 -c 10.0.1.2
Client connecting to 10.0.1.2, TCP port 5001
Binding to local address 10.0.1.3
TCP window size: 16.0 KByte (default)
[  3] local 10.0.1.3 port 5001 connected with 10.0.1.2 port 5001
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.09 GBytes    938 Mbits/sec

I haven't done anything to tune the stack on those machines.

/Benny