Re: [Openvpn-users] Performance Issues with Gigabit Encryption

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Performance Issues with Gigabit Encryption
  • From: "Jim Drash" <jim.drash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:21:27 -0500

I am very surprised to see the 980 Mbps throughput you discribe.  Most Operating Systems can do very well at about 200 Mbs in a 1 Gbs network.  Why is this?  Mostly it is becuase the bulk of the communication stack is implemented is software.  How do Switch and router vendors do it.  There stack is in firmware and hardware.

I dont' doubt you are seeing 980 but since we don't know what you are using for that measurement, it seems extremely high.