Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: route setup incorrect after standby --> non working openVPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Re: route setup incorrect after standby --> non working openVPN
  • From: arnaud <arnaud.oss@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:13:27 +0100

> > Hello,
> >
> > The question, why is that route lost, is it a configuration problem, a
> > bug, what should I do?
>
> As I understand it, Windows shuts down the interface in standby.  When the
> interface goes down the routes that would point to it are cleared from the
> routing table.  So I think there are two solutions.  1) enter a persistant
> route so it never gets removed or 2) check the MS support web for the registry
> option that does not de-program the interface when going to standby mode, I
> think this is also applicable to when the LAN cable is unplugged.
>
> Dale

Hello, and thanks for answering. What you suggest in your first point
has to be done by openvpn, because the lost route is not one I created
myself, it is a route created automatically by openVPN (as described
in my first mail). I guess openvpn has to mark that route permanent
(and delete it when tunnel is closed).

about point 2 ... To be honest, I couldn't find anything useful
googling about that. But I think that the route we care about here is
not linked to an interface, so the route will be "de-programmed"
anyway. It is a route added by openvpn after interface is setup, so I
guess that won't help.

Arnaud