Re: [Openvpn-users] [Openvpn-users]Can the openVPN client auto login with the saved password??

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] [Openvpn-users]Can the openVPN client auto login with the saved password??
  • From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:40:30 +1300

Jon Bendtsen wrote:
>> I'm dealing with the openVPN server with the authentication method of
>> password.
>> Instead of type the password everytime ,can it save the password into
>> a file or registry
>> and then automatically connect the server when start the client??
>
> That ruins your security, but see the manpage
>     http://openvpn.net/man.html

I protest - it doesn't ruin your security. It all depends on what you
are trying to achieve, and what level of security is appropriate for
your situation.
e.g. asking for a password is impossible when using OpenVPN as routers.

I for one find it annoying that the "askpass" options are disabled by
default within the RPMs available for OpenVPN. I really wish people
would stop trying to limit options "for your own good" (i.e. I have to
spend an extra 2 minutes rebuilding my own RPMs ;-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417