RE: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN Server Performance (real experience)

  • Subject: RE: [Openvpn-users] Re: OpenVPN Server Performance (real experience)
  • From: "Schultz, Dale C." <D.Schultz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:49:32 -0500

-----Original Message-----

500kbps
> > dh2048.pem: CPU load between 10 to 35%	eth0 output data rate:
300kbps
> > dh4096.pem: CPU load between 75 to 100%	eth0 output data rate:
175kbps

> > I hope this helps a few people when considering their client base,
> > server size and Internet connection bandwidth.

> Did it make any change when the clients was authenticated?
> during normal use?

I would have to say no.  We have been running with dh4096.pem from the
beginning of this project and have never had a problem once the tunnels
to the clients were up.  CPU usage after the tunnels are up only seems
to peak again when the reneg timer expires and even then the CPU only
reaches about 20%.

Here is a brief oprofile report:
# opreport
CPU: P4 / Xeon with 2 hyper-threads, speed 2992.58 MHz (estimated)
Counted GLOBAL_POWER_EVENTS events (time during which processor is not
stopped) with a unit mask of 0x01 (mandatory) count 100000
GLOBAL_POWER_E...|
  samples|      %|
------------------
759260679 80.2939 libcrypto.so.0.9.8