Re: [Openvpn-users] Lost connectivity, sooo weird. Any chance at all?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Lost connectivity, sooo weird. Any chance at all?
  • From: "Sameh Attia" <sattia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:41:29 +0200

Dear,
    I would like to share this with you. The majority of VPN lockups problem is solved now. It was neither NAT collision nor port tearing like Jason's suggestion.

We have an auth-user-pass-verify option enabled in the server configuration which we use to authentiate our clients against an external OpenLDAP server.

After deep investigations we found that the problem is the LDAP server is not responding too fast and sometimes suffers a lockup. While at the same time the client asks, approximately every two minutes and 5 seconds even if we have "auth-retry none" in the server configuration, the server to re-authenticate and halts any traffic during this time untill it gets a reply.

We worked around it by returning an "always successfull" reply to the VPN server. This solved the majority of clients.

We are still having a problem with people who are using Avaya's soft phones. During normal VPN operation the call is in peer-to-peer mode and once the client asks for re-autherntication; the softphone hears nothing but silence and we find that the softphone is talking with Avaya's MedPro only and cannot get back to the session with the callee. Does the client disable the TUN adapter? or does not accept any traffic while waiting for re-authentication that causes the softphone to think the client is disconnected and hence goes back to the MedPro?

Regards
--
Sameh Attia
Information Security Manager

On 2/13/06, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sameh Attia wrote:
> This might not be your case. But we are facing this same issue since
> we transported our HQ to another new location while leaving the VPN
> server in the old place.
>
> The only difference here is VPN clients are now NATed before they
> reach the VPN server. The number of clients is about 150. I think it
> might be some sort of source port collision?
That shouldn't be a problem - but of course is entirely dependent on
your NAT device. As there are 65,000 ports, 150 being allocated to VPN
connections shouldn't mean you've run out - but only your NAT device can
really answer this question...

As you using UDP? If so, maybe the  NAT device is tearing down the UDP
connection faster that OpenVPN expects. e.g.

Time:0sec client -> UDP --> NAT -> srcport=30000 -> server-port-1194
(everyone happy)
...later....
client -> 30sec quiet -> NAT-times-out-above-UDP "session/tunnel"
Time:40sec server-port-1194 -> dstport=30000 -> NAT - "Port Unreachable"

If this is happening, either

a> increase UDP NAT timeout to be larger than OpenVPN "ping" timeout
b> decrease OpenVPN ping timeout to something smaller that the NAT timeout
c> use TCP. Doesn't suffer from this particular NAT timeout issue

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417