Re: [Openvpn-users] using public addresses

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] using public addresses
  • From: James Yonan <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:43:06 -0700

Jon Rowell wrote:
Makes sense.

I added the redirect-gateway line to server.conf. When the client connects I get this message:

"NOTE: unable to redirect default gateway -- Cannot read current default gateway from system"

My client is solaris 10.
The --redirect-gateway option only works if OpenVPN knows how to get the default gateway for the specific platform you are running on. Since there is no portable API for getting this information from the OS, each OS needs a different implementation of the get_default_gateway function in route.c. Right now, most OSes which OpenVPN supports have an implementation of this function, but Solaris is one which doesn't. Basically that means that someone needs to write a get_default_gateway function in route.c which is specialized to work correctly on Solaris.

James